Thursday, December 11, 2008

My Dad

I have introduced my brother to you, but the 2 people I have not really mentioned are my late parents. My mom- Merryl Comins and my dad Henry Comins



My dad was born in 1944 and died tragically in 2000. What I always found amazing was that although he had limited movement, he always tried to be involved in our lives. My dad had major back problems and hence could not do to much. Although he was not wheel chair bound, he battled.


He had such an amazing nature and would always surprise us with gifts and do things when we least expected them. I remember been at college and was battling with economics. Although we did not need a text book, my dad went out one day and got me one. This did in fact help me pass.


An amazing fact about my dad was that he was the first South African to fly solo at the exact age of 17 years old. He managed to do his solo on his 17th Birthday- a full year before he could get his drivers licence.

My dad was also a person who gave back to the community, he qualified as a paramedic part time and often spent weekends at sports events and provided first aid. He also got involved in scouts and this help us achieve many happy hours together.


Dad unfortunately committed suicide on the 28th February 2000. A day that I will always remember, but wish that it never happened. We do not know why he did it, but he must have had a reason. It took me a long time to forgive him for what he did to me and my mom and my brother, but over the last few years, I have learnt to forgive. He must have had his reasons, but those reasons went with him.


I would not be the person I am today if it was not for him. He was a great dad and a good friend.

4 comments:

Hayley said...

Great post Keith, sounds like your Dad was a great guy.
You look just like him!

Keith said...

Strange that you say I look just like him. We were 2 peas in pod. He was always the tallest in the family, till I grew up and then I was in fact 1 cm taller. The next person in the family was a lot shorter than us. With looks I look like my dad and my brother who looks similar to me has more of my mom's features.

thanks for your kind comment Hayley

Hayley said...

The minute I saw that photo, it was like looking at you.

Keith said...

I actually love this photo of my dad. It is just the way I remember him - and the dog in the picture was his mate- she could do no wrong.