Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Amazement of Technology

I am giving my age away, but I have been pondering about technology for a while now and in particular the ease of communication.

To think that when I was still at school, the Internet was a luxury and e-mail was hardly known about. Not forgetting the ever important cellular telephone. Now these are items we cannot live without and make our lives so much easier.

As regular readers of my blog will known I have a brother living in the UK and he is my only immediate family. With the aid of technology we probably speak more often than we spoke when we lived 5 kilometres apart. Everyday of our lives we sms or e-mail each other and sometimes have conversations that last ages by e-mail or text. The amazing part is that you will have just sent a reply and the other party has already started replying.

I was on the phone to somebody yesterday and the next minute while I was still on the phone my brother e-mailed me and it was in connection with what I was speaking on the phone about. He knew I was going to make the call, but forgot to mention something when he text ed me earlier and I could get the problem sorted out immediately.

Unfortunately I have got to the stage that when I leave my phone some where I feel like I am missing something. 15 years ago, would think that a cellular phone would be such a part of our lives???

No comments: