Sunday, February 8, 2009

Johannesburg Traffic

Well, I promised you a post on Johannesburg traffic, so I am not to let you down! Anybody who has lived in Johannesburg or has visited Johannesburg has experienced some form of our traffic. You do not need to drive 50km's on a highway to see what I am referring to- it is visible in the residential area's too.

My best is the way ladies think that they can put make up on while driving. Let me be up front- I have never put make up on- I am just not that type. However ever it does look challenging, specially when they start putting things near there eye's. I always worry that they are going to go over a bump and poke there eye out, I also imaging the lipstick ending up on there cheek. I have not witnessed it, but it must have happened.


Anyway, I am fortunate not to have to travel in to much peak hour traffic as I live 14 km's from my office. However take yesterday for instance (yes it was Saturday) and I managed to do 194.4 kilometres for work. So I can speak with some authority.

A good 10 years ago I was working in Woodmead and living in Benoni. We arranged a lift scheme and the meeting place was East Rand Value Mall at around 6h30. Now there were a few hangers on, but now now best mate Clint and I travelled together. A must was was that we had enough variety of music to get us to work and back. One of our famous ways we kept sane was that we would comment on other drivers and what they were either wearing, doing or thinking. Now earlier in the post, I mentioned about ladies doing make-up, I have seen men shave with electric razors.

One of the most memorable times was when we were driving through Edenvale and we saw a extremely good looking young lass. Now I think see realised what was going on and played us up. The next morning we left the same time and yes we saw her. I was driving and Clint said that I must bumper bash her as he wanted her number- I would not agree on that (how desperate was he??) Anyway the next morning he drove and had this determination to get her number, unfortunately for him and to my relief we did not see her. You can imagine what he was thinking.

I was driving back from work about a year ago and was driving along London Rd in Alexandra and the bakkie behind me pulled to the left and started passing us at a rate of knots. All I could imaging was somebody was going to be hurt. He had one side of the car on the road and the other on the pavement. Fortunately the pedestrians managed to flee in different directions and the only real damage was that a street stall was flattened and eventually the bakkie came to a stop wrapped around a light post. A lot of damage but thank goodness no one was injured.

I think traffic brings out the best and worse in people and I am sure that most of us have stories we can tell. From the way cars are "modified" to the safety of cars on the road to the people that drive in these cars. All I pray is that people get to there destinations SAFELY! This is not unique to Johannesburg and I am sure it happens in all area's.

So next time you in traffic, have a look at the people and cars and just think what is going on in there minds! I am sure you can all share a story with me.

5 comments:

Hayley said...

Its amazing what you see in the traffic, and you are right its every where.

Miller said...

Thanks for the post. It is like that. You see all sorts. I've seen a guy with his newspaper spread over his steering wheel on the highway.

Keith said...

You will see I stayed totally away from cell phones in traffic! Or the devices we use to talk on our phones with. My other omission is music! Thanks guys

The Running Golfer said...

Keith just be thankful, most people in Joburg know how to drive. Cape Town is a totally different matter though....

Keith said...

You right about Cape town- I was there twice in December and nearly went mad! Thanks for the great comments