Sunday, September 7, 2008

My Holiday

Well I am officially getting excited- I leave for the UK for a 2 week holiday in less than 3 weeks time! I fly out of Johannesburg at 22h30 on the 26th September and return on the 12 October. This is a very special holiday for me and I owe a lot of it to my brother- he is the BEST!

I have been needing a holiday and on my birthday I received a call from my brother wishing me for the day. He then turned around and said that he had not sent a gift, but I must book a trip to the UK and he will pay for half the ticket. WOW!!!

Anyway I wasted no time in booking and it was something like 10 weeks ago. I am now down to 3 weeks. This holiday is something I have needed for a long time and it is a break away from home and work. Although it is my second trip to the UK, there is so much I want to do. Somethings I want to repeat and others are things I missed last time.

I am going to be watching my first live soccer game in the UK- it will be Spurs vs Hull City on the 5th October 2008. He tried getting me tickets for a Man United or Liverpool game, but those are like hens teeth to get. Anyway I am so excited to be going to game, no matter what teams are playing.

I also am going to meet with some friends and catch up with them. It will be nice to see people I have not seen for a while. My brother Allan and his wife Rosalind live in a town about an hour out of London called Hungerford which is near Reading.

Anyway, I have started making a list of what needs to be packed as I am forgetful. It was quite scary how the first few items were electronics- camera, ipod, cell phone, chargers. Then only did I think of clothing.

I went through my wardrobe and realised if I am away for 2 weeks, I need some new clothes. The problem I have is work is casual, so what I wear daily is what I wear on the weekends. So off I went today to Jeep and picked up a few new shirts and shorts (thanks to staff price). I then needed a day pack and socks- I am sure my socks disintegrate in the washing machine. I am always short of socks. Last week, I bought some new walking shoes, mine were walked out and would kill my feet if I walked the distances I plan to walk.

On my list I have had to put bills that will need paying while I am away, I really do not feel like returning to no lights and water or something like that.

This holiday is special to me, it is the first holiday I will be having with my brother since mom died and we need to share some memories. Also and I will say it in the nicest possible way- I need the break and with mom not been around I can have that break. I was always concerned about leaving her, with her not been well, she easily hurt herself or something could happen. So I would continually be phoning or texting her to see if she was alright. This time I do not have that worry. Although I would not grudge having to contact her daily.

Anyway, I will be sharing the build up to the holiday and my lap top is also on the list, so I will be in contact through my blog- hopefully share some pictures from time to time.

3 comments:

Hayley said...

Damn, I am already jealous!

The Running Golfer said...

I`m very jealous! Really sorry to hear that you guys couldn`t get tickets to the Man Utd game. That woulde`ve been awesome!! Berbatov`s debut for Utd, great, great stuff!

Miller said...

Don't woory about the utd or liverpool game. I would give my eye teeth to watch a Spurs game. Enjoy!!!!