Thursday, November 20, 2008

5 Km Fun Run

So yesterday we sat in a weekly Wednesday morning management meeting, and the final point our MD brings up is that there is a 5km fun run in the evening and we are all invited to join him and his daughter. Having nothing planned for the evening I thought why not.

So I popped home at lunch time for a t-shirt and shorts and was ready to join the fun. We all gathered at the office and I lead the worm of cars to Benoni Northerns. We did the registration thing and grabbed a quick wors roll and were ready. I was told to dress for a Christmas theme. This was not hard as all I needed was my bright red t-shirt. We complemented our outfits with Christmas hats that even had flashing lights.

We were just heading down to the start when the heavens opened. The cars were much closer than 5km's. After much joking we decided to proceed. By now we were wet through, so we thought we cannot get any wetter.

I am quite proud of myself as we did the walk in just under an hour. We were wet from head to toe and I think a canoe would have been easier in parts. But I think we all had fun, I certainly did. I cannot say we ran very much- a kilometre at the most, however we did not mess around.

Benoni Northerns did a great job in organising the race and I think without the rain, it would have been a great vibe as a lot of the route was supposed to be lit with candles and the whole Christmas theme. I was impressed that we got a medal at the end even for the fun run.

My boss ad I walked together all the way, so we had a good chat regarding work and personal things. The race is an annual event and it looks like it is going to be on hour companies social calender. I may even be ready for the 15 km race next year.

5 comments:

Hayley said...

Well done Keith!

Keith said...

Thanks Hayley,

Miller said...

Well done Keith. The heavens really did open, but good on you for going through with the run/walk.

That race was voted as the best 15km race in the country last year. Quite a festive atmosphere.

The Running Golfer said...

Nice one Keith

The Running Golfer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.