Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Guy Fawkes


There is one evening of the year, I dread and that is 5 November- Guy Fawkes. I realise there is a lot of history behind Guy Fawkes, but my problem is that as they years have past, the crackers been lit are getting louder and louder.

As I kid I hated fire work displays because of the noise. However as I have grown up, I have learnt to enjoy them and realise with the bright colours, comes some noise. A controlled fireworks display in a open public area is always a great sight.

I am sitting at home baby sitting Jody my foxy, and she is really on edge with the noise. I appreciate people are trying to have fun, but we do not need these big bangs and loud noisy crackers that can be heard 10 miles away.

My understanding of a celebration or a commemoration is a token reminder of an event, however in to days world it seems who can be bigger and better or in the case of fireworks, who can be bigger and louder.

I am at least at home and with my doggy, what about those people who are at work or who are out that cannot be with there animals, those poor dogs and cats. There is one thing I hate reading in the papers is how animals have been lost because they ran away from the noise. My other real hate is the way people have been cruel to animals with crackers- that gets my goat in a knot so quickly.

Over the past few years, the 5th of November has always been rainy, my wish is that it rained so hard all night so that crackers cannot be set of in the suburbs.

I am sorry that this has not been a happy or friendly post, but I have just needed to air my frustrations on fire crackers been let off in a suburb area.





1 comment:

Miller said...

I agree with you whole heartedly! I enjoy fireworks in a controlled open environment, but these days you can by them by the box at the traffic lights at a minimal cost. So every Tom, Dick and Harry gets involved. I also have a dog that can be rather on the sensitive side. Something should be done!!!!