Monday, November 17, 2008

My Big Brother

As you may have gathered in my previous posts, I have an older brother living in the UK. Allan is 4 and a half years older than me and lives in a lovely town called Hungerford. He is married to a special lady by the name of Rosalind, better known as Ros.

He has always been a big brother and has always been caring and supportive toward me. During our teenage years we were typical brothers, we had fun fun together, we also had our differences and often our opinions caused conflict. Anyway there was always brotherly love. However in recent years, we have become so close- Allan is one person I can call day and night and ask for a chat, advice or support.

I respect him tremendously and take his advice seriously- not because he is an accountant, just because is head is screwed in the right direction. The nice thing about Allan is he has never been bossy and respects my feelings and opinions.

I cannot wait for the 14th of December, when he arrives from the UK for a 3 week holiday. I have actually seen him 3 times already this year, but yet it feels like an eternity since we saw each other. The first 2 times were short and not under great circumstances- but we spent quality time together. The last was my holiday to the UK where I was spoilt from head to toe. Anyway I will be the first at the airport to welcome Allan and Ros home.

We have have 2 trips planned while he is here, the first is a day trip to Durban to say our finally farewells to our mom when we scatter her ashes on the 16th December. We want to do this before Christmas. The second is a weekend in Cape Town, this is just to do something different and spend time with friends. I am honoured to be invited on that trip as in fact his friends organised it, but never once forgot to invite me. A funny part about that trip is that I got a e-mail saying a ticket had been purchased for me to get to Cape Town, but they forgot to book my return flight. I go down a day after they do as I have Jody to sort out. Now to show how close we are, all Allan said is that they are flying back to JHB on the 29th, he mentioned no times and no airlines. I gathered they were flying 1 Time, because that's how we are getting to Cape Town.

I then booked my return flight and e-mailed Allan the times, it turns out that we are ALL flying back on the same flight. As I always maintain- great minds think a like.

There is no Christmas present in the world that I can give Allan as he means so much to me. Respect and love are one way I can say thank you. I am so looking forward to spending some more quality time with my BIG brother- he is the best.

2 comments:

Hayley said...

Awesome post Keith, it is amazing how family are always there for you hey?

Keith said...

Thanks Hayley, I am blessed to have Allan in my life. You are quite right it is amazing how family are always there when you need them most. And the nice thing is that as time has past I have grown closer to Ros (Allan's wife), in saying that we have always got on.