Sunday, November 16, 2008

Health and Fitness

Well I am officially on a health and fitness drive. I went to my local GP about a month ago and had a full once over due to me complaining of extreme tiredness. Anyway after a marathon of blood tests, it was established I had low iron levels. Anyway I was put on an iron drip there and then. This has now been repeated for a further 2 weeks. This been the 4th week I am having my iron retested today, so I hope I see an improvement.

Anyway I sat myself down and said why have I got these problems, and it just came down to my lifestyle. I immediately changed my eating habits which included a lot of coffee, a chocolate or 2 a day, not watching how much beer I was drink and so the list goes on. I immediately stopped the coffee and replaced that with rooiboos tea- and cut my intake by half. I have only had 3 cups of coffee in 2 weeks. Chocolates, well I thought I was going to go made- this was a vice. I have only had to 2 chocolate covered nuts in 3 weeks and I actually only had that to be polite. With regards to beer- I am down to 2 beers a week, I think this can be cut down soon.


Then comes my really problem- breakfast, I really do not enjoy breakfast because most cereals need milk and that is one thing that I cannot take, even in my coffee. Well I took the bull by the horns and no have eaten breakfast every morning for the last 3 weeks. I have got myself so disciplined that I must eat my Weetbix every morning including weekends.


I have taken lunch to work every day now and a couple of banana's to get me through the day. For supper it is a healthy meal- maybe 2 take aways a week, if I have worked really late, but I am trying to avoid that to. My weekends consisted of take aways from Friday to Sunday and I am proud to say that this has improved already.


Then comes the fitness, I have actually been to gym 3 times this week. Wow- that is a record, my previous record was twice in a month. Today was especially good work- I mowed the lawn, 3 hours of physical labour and this was followed by 40 minutes in the gym. I have been slack on gym due to a knee injury, but my physio instructed me to get back on the bicycle and tread mill. I have got myself so focused that I am watching my heart rate and weight like a hawk. So I am sure I will see an improvement soon.


This I am sure is the start of a healthy lifestyle. My aim now is to do the Argus in 2010 and work from there.

2 comments:

The Running Golfer said...

Good on ya Keith. It`s a big decision you`ve made and will take a lot of hard work but the pay-off is awesome.

I did the same thing this year and lost 13kg`s. I started jogging and it was hard work but I just kept going. I also went onto Weight Watchers and that helped a helluva lot.

I have now been off the diet for about 4 months but still watch what I eat and run at least 3 or 4 times a week. My weight has stayed the same and that`s great.

So good luck, I know you can do it.

Keith said...

Thanks for the support Francois. I have just realised that I need to do something. I am going to see a bio kineticist next week to get a proper exceerise routine.

The nice thing is that my brother is also looking at doing the Argus in 2010.

I must be honest to loose 13 kg's would be great.

Thanks for the encouragement.